10 WAYS TO LOOK AFTER YOUR CARPET
(Posted on 09/02/17)
10 WAYS TO LOOK AFTER YOUR CARPET TO ENSURE LONG LIFE
1. Under every carpet, mainly short pile carpets, an underlay is recommended, the underlay prevents the carpet from moving and protects from wear.
2. Once every 6-8 months, we recommend that the carpet should be turned face down and left for 2-3 days, this will dislodge any grit and dust that has got deep into the pile, then hoover the carpet as normal.
3. It is advisable to open the carpet at least once a year in the sun, this will stop any moisture in the carpet forming into mould.
4. Change the direction of the carpet from time to time, this will even out the wear.
5. If you spill anything on the carpet and you think it is going to stain, put a damp cloth on top, and as soon as possible get an expert to clean it.
6. If you want to attempt the cleaning of the carpet yourself, red wine stains should be removed with white wine, blood and egg stain should be cleaned with cold water only, oil or coffee can be cleaned with carpet shampoo or white vinegar.
7. Once every 2-3 years the carpet should be sent for expert cleaning, even if you think the carpet is clean, this will keep the carpet in pristine condition.
8. If you spill any liquid on the carpet, scrape any residue off with a table spoon, do not rub the pile in circular motion as this will change the pile direction, ensure the pile is brushed back with the grain and dry with a hair dryer.
9. If you have to store the carpet for any length of time, turn the carpet face down, and sprinkle moth repellent on the carpet, roll the carpet pile out, then wrap in newspaper this will soak any dampness up and store in a dry place.
10.If you find any fault in the carpet, i.e. small holes or damage to the side cords or the ends coming undone, seek expert advice as soon as possible to get this repaired.